[vip_students] be my eyes

  • From: "Irene Maloney" <breeze.whitney@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "vip \(vip\)" <vip_students@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2015 09:57:50 -0000

Hi,

Forgive me if this free app - be my eyes - is history to most of you but I
only heard about it yesterday from an employee of Henshaws Society for the
Blind.  I have it downloaded and I think it will be great.

Blind and sighted people sign up and state which category they fall in.
Once the app is up and running all you do is tap twice if you need help for,
say, the expiry date on a carton of milk, the contents of a box or can,
stuff like that.  When the request goes out an actual person who has signed
up speaks to the enquirer and asks how they can help. The beauty of this
compared with other apps is that you are not taking a photograph but holding
your phone's camera in front of the item under discussion.  The person
helping can ask you to move it up or down or whatever.  No way do either
parties see each other or know names.  One example I was given was that a
sighted employee from Henshaws in Manchester received a beep from someone in
America.  The American said he had very little cash and was in a restaurant
so could the helper look at the menu and tell him the cheapest item on it.
This he did.

Perhaps I haven't described this too well but I am delighted with it.
Again, apologies if this is history.

Cheers,

Irene.