[vip_students] Windows Tip: Using the control menu!

  • From: "NCBI Technical Support" <paul.traynor@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <vip_students@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2007 11:05:00 +0100

The Control menu, facilitates the resizing and moving of windows with the
keyboard only.

Your control menu may look like the following when it is open;
* Restore
* Move
* Size
* Minimize
* Maximize
* Close Alt+F4

Note: You  Press Alt-Space bar to open the active window's Control menu, and
then choose the desired action using your arrow keys followed by the enter
key.
If you choose to move the window, what happens on screen to a sighted person
is that the mouse pointer will change to a little four-pointed arrow, which
is your cue to use the cursor (arrow) keys to do the actual moving. Those of
us who are vision impaired will not of course notice such a change on the
screen but simply by using our arrow keys we can also move the windows
however it will be necessary for us to have sighted help in order for us to
determine where to locate the window on screen. I simply provide this
information so that you know what exactly is going on on the monitor.
 Likewise, selecting Resize will allow you to stretch any window edge using
the cursor keys. In either case, press Enter when you're happy with the
result, or press Esc to cancel the operation.
If a window can't be resized or minimized, for example, those menu items
will not be present, in orther words, your screen reader will say something
like "unavailable".
Note that Control menus work just like normal menus, so you could press
Alt-Space bar+M to begin moving a window.

I hope this gives you some idea of the Control menus.

Regards,