[vip_students] Mini Tutorial:Files, Folders, and Disks

  • From: "NCBI Technical Support" <paul.traynor@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <vip_students@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2007 11:45:26 +0100

Files, Folders, and Disks

Have you ever wondered  what files, folders and disks really are on your
computer?. We all would usually know files as being perhaps "A4 sheets of
paper" and as for folders, we would think of these things as being like
large envelopes that we can shove all the A4 sheets of paper, our files into
for safe keeping but what are  their equivalent on a computer and in the
world of the PC?.

In the computer world, Files are the basic unit of long-term storage on a
computer.
Files are organized into folders.

(Folders)
Folders on a computer are areas of memory space like little pockets where
the bytes that are the make up of a file are located for safe keeping and so
we can look at these as being like the cardboard folders we use for keeping
our paper sheets protected and in a logical structure for future reference.
These folders are stored on disks which we will look at next.
(In earlier versions of Windows, folders were more often referred to as
directories, but both terms are still used.)

(Disk Names)
If we want to look at how our computer sees the objects we call disks then
you can just go into "my computer" located on your desktop and straight away
by using your arrow keys, you are looking at the "so called disks" that are
contained on the computer.
Every version of  windows retains the basic DOS disk-naming conventions.
Drives are differentiated by a single letter of the alphabet followed by a
colon:. You can see this if you arrow up or down or right and left within My
Computer and you will hear your screen reader say something like "local
drive C: or "3 and a half floppy drive A:".

(List of possible disks or drives on your computer)

* A:
Represents the first "floppy" (usually 3.5-inch) disk drive on the system

* B:
Represents the second floppy disk drive, if present

* C:
Represents the first hard disk drive. Your computer needs this drive to be
present as the windows operating software is stored on it and so enables you
to get into windows upon startup.

* D:
Often represents a DVD-ROM or CD-ROM drive, but can represent an additional
hard disk drive or other removable drive

* E: through Z:
Represent additional hard disk drives, DVD-ROM or CD-ROM drives, Universal
Serial Bus (USB) flash drives, removable cartridges such as ZIP or Jaz
drives, or mapped network drives

By default, drive letters are assigned consecutively, but it's possible to
change the drive letters should you wish too but that kind of setting up is
for the advanced user and not the faint hearted.

This concludes just a little bit about what your files, folders and disk
drives are about.