[vip_students] Re: Unable to Send E-mails via my Brother's ISP in Longford

  • From: "Aedan O'Meara" <aomeara@xxxxxx>
  • To: <vip_students@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 7 May 2011 13:06:29 +0100

Hi Eleanor,
Did your brother sign up to Broadband recently?
Were you using dial-up access up to now on his system?
The problem mightn't be the same as that which I met in Spain.
Normally, if you are accessing the internet via someones else provider you
need to set the outgoing settings in your mail properties to the "gateway"
of that provider. For instance:
My incoming email is set to
Gpo.iol.ie
My outgoing mail is set to
Mail.vodafone.ie
This is because I am still using IOL as my email provider, but the ISP or
provider, Vodafone, have their own gateway for outgoing email.
However, not to confuse you with too much info, the following setting in
Spain should have worked:
Smtp.telefonica.net
For the outgoing emails but because I was not the owner of the account it
was blocked. Here at home i am on Vodafone as my provider and yet the
setting:
Mail.vodafone.ie
Works for my wife's account with Eircom.net.
Hope this helps
Aedan.