[vip_students] Twitter: Setting up a new account!

  • From: "Paul J. Traynor (NCBI)" <paul.traynor@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <vip_students@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2010 11:46:30 +0100

[How do I set up a Twitter account?]

Sometimes those of us who have been using Twitter for a while forget what it
was like to start out and work out how to get going here on twitter.
I hope the following instructions will help some of you get started. This
tutorial covers the signing up process for Twitter.

[What is Twitter?)

Twitter is a free social messaging utility for staying connected in
real-time.

Wikipedia describes it this way:

Twitter is a free social networking and micro-blogging service, that allows
its users to send and read other users' updates (otherwise known as tweets),
which are text-based posts of up to 140 characters in length, a little like
text messages.

In this tutorial, I want to teach you how to set up a twitter account.

1: Go to http://twitter.com.
When you get to Twitter.com, you'll  be presented with all sorts of links
and other stuff which may or may not mean much to you at the time.

2: Using jaws, do a "control + F" for find and type in as the search words,
"sign up" excluding the quotes. Once the search has found this link, press
the escape key and then press the enter key to take you into the signing up
details.  Magnification users, Double Click the Sign up link and wait for it
to load, now you will be in the area where you begin filling out your
registration.

3: Begin filling out your details as follows;
*. Your full name
 (Your full name appears on your public profile)

*. Create a Username.
(Pick out a unique name, your twitter homepage will look something like the
following, "http://www.twitter.com/username";)

*. Password,
(Remember to use 6 characters or more)

*. email address,
(Fill in your email here)

*. Let others find me by my email address,
(This is a checkbox which you use the spacebar to toggle)

*. Finally, the create my account button.
(This is the last item on this page and is preceded by some text which is
the license agreement.)

Notes: If you are using this twitter account for brand management for your
business, I'd recommend using your domain name minus the dot com/net/etc.
I.E. http://twitter.com/MyBusinessName)
If it's just for fun or personal use, use whatever you want as the username.
What happens now is that  Twitter goes through all your email addresses to
see who is already registered with a Twitter account. You can hand pick
which of your new "Twitter Friends" you want to add.
That it for this part of the operation, try it out and enjoy.

National Council for the Blind of Ireland (NCBI) is a company
limited by guarantee (registered in Ireland No. 26293) .
Our registered office is at Whitworth Road, Drumcondra, Dublin 9.
NCBI is also a registered Charity (chy4626).