[vip_students] Tutorial: Downloading files from the internet.

  • From: "Lists" <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <vip_students@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2007 16:36:12 -0000

Below I have written up a short tutorial for those of you who are beginners
at downloading files from the internet.

Downloading files with Internet Explorer

1. After  you have selected a file to download and I give you  the
opportunity to try this out for yourselves using the link at the end of this
tutorial to attempt to download a small file from the net

2. When you click the download button or click on a download link  a screen
will pop up that gives you the
choice to download or save. Click Save.

3. A Screen will come up with Save As... at the top. It is typically set to
desktop. If you don't want your item there, Zoomtext and Supernova users can
click the scroll down menu and
locate the folder you want your item saved.
For keyboard users, do a "shift + tab" once to land on the list of folders
and look for the "my documents folder" then press the enter key on it to
open it up in order to make it available for the file to download into it.

4. Press the tab key till you are on the "save button" and press either the
"spacebar or the enter key" to begin the download process.
Note: For those using jaws you can determine usually how much of a file has
been downloaded by using keys "insert + letter T" however it doesn't always
work but worth trying out. Another indication that the download has
completed is that the download screen closes up. It is a good idea to learn
your own way of finding out when a download is in progress or has completed.

5. In the previous step you choose the "My Documents folder" to save the
downloaded file in for later use. Once you have determined a method for
knowing if your file has downloaded either by using the "insert + letter T"
key or whatever you should look out for the percentages of any file that is
downloading. 100% is when the file is almost finished.