[vip_students] Outlook Express Auto Responder!

  • From: "Paul Traynor" <paul.traynor@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <vip_students@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 21:45:46 +0100

Hi Edel,

I'm going from memory here as I haven't used outlook express in many years
but  I think this is how its done.

Here are some instructions and tips that should help you set it up. There
are three parts to this process;

1. Create the response message.
2. Create an
Outlook Express rule.
3. Link the message to the rule.

Let's create the message first.

The easiest way to do this is to use Notepad in your Accessories folder

Step 1. START>Programs>Accessories>Notepad

Step 2. Open the program, click "File menu" or press keys "alt + f"  and
then click "New".

Step 3. Now type in the response that you want to be emailed while you are
away. Write something like:

"Hi and thanks for your e-mail. I am out of the office between (type in the
dates you will be away). I won't be checking e-mail during that time. Rest
assured
that I have received your e-mail and it is safely in my inbox. I'll get back
to you as soon as possible after my return."

Step 4.Next you'll want to save the auto-response file to your hard drive.
Let's call it "OutOfOffice" and place it in a folder called "email-files" on
your main
hard drive.

To do this;
*. Go to start menu and then arrow down to "run".
*. Type in to the run box; C:\  and press the "enter key" Now you are out on
the hard drive or root area of your hard drive if you like to call it.
*. Go to the "file menu", "alt + F" or click on "file" and choose "new".
*. In the new sub menu, choose "Folder" and press enter key.
*. Now you will be prompted for a name, call it; Email files and again press
the "enter key".
*. Press keys "alt + f4" to close out of here as we are finished out in the
root area.

Now lets go back to our notepad screen and after we have reviewed our
response text, lets save it.

Step 5. At the top of the window where you created the response e-mail,
click the "File" menu and choose "Save As". A dialog box will pop open.

Step 6. Save the file exactly as follows;

C:\Email Files\OutOfOffice

Now press the enter key when done.

The file   will be created as a TXT file. So you'll end up with a file
called outofoffice.txt in the "c:\email-files"
folder.

(Part two)

Part two of the process involves creating an e-mail rule. In Outlook
Express,
Step 1. click the "Tools" menu, or press keys "alt + t"
Step 2.  click or arrow down to  "Message Rules" and choose "Mail".
*. A four-parp dialog box will pop up.

First part:. Select Conditions for your rule" scroll to the bottom of the
list and add a check mark to "For all messages".

Part 2:. Select Actions for your rule", check off "Reply with message".

Part 3:. Rule description" the follow items will now be listed:

*.Apply this rule after the message arrives
*. For all messages
*. Reply with message

Step 3. You'll notice that the word "message" in the last line is
underscored. Click or use the spacebar  on it and a dialog box will open.

Step 4. In the "files of type box", choose "Text
(*.txt)".

Note:If all goes well your "outofoffice.txt" file will be there. If not
click the pulldown menu and choose the "C:" drive, then go into the
"email-files" folder.
Select the "outofoffice.txt" file and click the "Open" button.

Step 5. You'll go back to the "New Mail Rule" dialog box that you created
the rules in. Under the item "4. Name of the rule" enter a description of
what the rule
does. You can simply call it "Out of the Office".

The rule is now set up. So click OK. You'll see the rule with a check mark
next to it now listed in the "Message Rules" dialog box. When you're in the
office
uncheck that box. When you're heading out of the office put a check mark
next to it to activate it.

(Additional Information)
To find the rule again and change it, from the "Tools" menu, choose "Message
Rules" then "Mail". Select the rule by clicking on it and click the "Modify"
button.

Just like you'd update an answering machine message, you also need to keep
you auto-responder up to date.

Also, don't be afraid to be a little creative. The example above is pretty
boring, but you could create something more informative.

Hope this helps.