[vip_students] Moderator:List Rules!

  • From: "Paul Traynor" <paul.traynor@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <vip_students@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2008 19:17:02 +0100

Hi All,

I was asked to send in a mail detailing the list rules. Here you are, I hope
it may help to keep things on-topic.
Please note, I have borrowed some of the rules from another list as they
were well written and  do help keep order on that list.
The rules below are written up to help  keep mails on-topic. It is I know
impossible to keep to the rules completely but all I ask is that you try and
use the list wisely.  I am not going to unsubscribe anyone right away, in
fact I don't want to have to do this but I personally set up this list for
us all to get on and I ask that people understand this. It is a labor of
love for me and I hope you all also.

Paul.

1. This list is to help both vision impaired and I.T trainers work together
to help and enhance each others knowledge.

2. All messages pertaining to technology from Braille to computers to mobile
devices etc is fair game.

3. While instructions are very useful when they are written up in a step by
step format they can have the tendency to become a dependency and people do
not explorer problems for themselves and try and make a useful diagnosis
leading to a solution, please try to  experiment and  take notes of your
successes and failings.
If you have no success then lets look at it together.

4. Keep all useful notes posted to the list. Make separate folders for the
different topics, such as a folder for phone info, one for windows, another
for brailed or tutorials, whatever the case may be and you will have a
valuable resource there.

5. If a new user comes on to the list looking for a solution to his or her
problem and you know this issue was covered before then forward them on a
copy of the saved notes "off-list", to avoid  the new user getting lots of
mails, inform the list that you have done so in a short  sentence or two.

6. When sending in a query about a problem, give as much detail as possible
to the rest of the list and try not to break up the information over several
emails as this can be the major cause of overload on a list like this. I do
appreciate for those who are not over familiar with their computers and what
they can do with them this might be asking a lot but just try and be as
complete as possible.

7. No smart comments on the list or gentle hints which are designed to  have
a go at anyone else is appropriate and those continuing to do this will be
taken off.

8. The discussion of anything illegal is absolutely forbidden, this is not a
high tech swap shop or anything of that nature at all. This means that goods
and or services will not be bought or sold using this forum. If you know a
given subject is off topic then don't post it. Simply placing off topic in
the subject line does not make it all right. Cross-posting is not permitted,
and members should only post in the following manner:

A. Using the TO: field with only one list address.
b. The SUBJECT: field should be short and to the point without including any
member names.

The reason for this is that in cases where people setup their message rules
to go by the To: field often times such rules get fowled up and in effect do
not work properly.
c. cross posting might allow you to reach many lists at the same time but
the fact is such a post might not be on topic for each and every list. This
practice does nothing but clutter up such lists.

10. Lastly please no jokes, virus warnings,, safety tips, or pleas to help
dying kids, should ever be forwarded to the list.
Also, No auto responders are to be used on this list! Those who use auto
responders for vacations and so forth must make sure that this list is not
included. Any person who sends an auto response message will be removed!