[vicsireland] recording internet radio using real player

  • From: "Paul Halligan" <tigerone@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <vicsireland@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 17:29:15 -0000

Blank
Recording internet radio tutorial

We are going to use a website called mikes worldwide radio for this tutorial

http://www.mikesradioworld.com/

the station we are looking for is radio one extra in Dublin.

Let me give you an idea of how the sites home page looks.

This site lists stations under

region

then country

then the list of stations in that country.

 the main reason I use this site is that a lot of the stations on the site use
real player and it has a record facility, but a lot of them use wmp too , so we
will be slightly limited.

As far as I am aware wmp windows media player has a record facility but ….i
cant find it on the latest version.

maybe someone on list will check where the record feature is on wmp and you
will have that player as an alternative way to record internet radio.

So here we go  getting a station and using real player to record it.

1 open the mikes worldwide radio link if you haven't already.

http://www.mikesradioworld.com/

2 pull up your list of links using insert and f7

You are looking at a list of regions

3 because the station we want is in Ireland we must pick the Europe region
first, so arrow to Europe and press enter

4  when this page opens we need to find Ireland

So use insert and f7 again and then arrow to Ireland or press the letter i. be
careful or you could end up getting Iceland radio!

Press enter.

5  the Ireland page opens and there is a list of Irish stations.

Now this is tricky because if you pull up the links again the site will not
tell you which stations use real player and which use other players

So instead

Keep pressing your down arrow until you come to the station you want, in our
example radio one extra.

6 when you get to the station you will hear the following

First the station name

Second the location of the station

Third jaws will say Graphic and then the player you can use i.e. if it says
graphic real audio you can use real player to play and record the station.

If jaws says graphic and windows media player you can use that one and so on

Note

that if jaws announces mp3 then the station will open in real player too.

7 now we wanted radio one extra in Dublin and have got to the station name

Arrow down again and we hear Dublin, its location

Arrow down again and we hear graphic real audio which means the station can be
played through real player

arrow down again you will hear jaws say graphic windows media but we want to
arrow down past this

arrow again and jaws says link 32 kbps this is the link to open and listen to
the station

8 Press enter and the station opens in real player after a few seconds. Be
patient

9 Right so now you are listening and want to record what you hear

Maybe its an oasis interview, god forbid.

With the real player window active Press alt and f for file

Press r for record and then enter.

10 you are now recording.

When you have heard enough

press alt and f again

press the letter r again and recording stops.

Wait a few seconds, about 5 and then we will go look for what we recorded.

11 So where is the recording?

Well I don’t know why, maybe it is my own personal laptop settings but the
recording goes into the my videos folder.

You can find this in  you’re my documents

12 Open the my videos folder

In here you will see a folder called real player downloads

Open this and your recording is listed by the name of the station you recorded,
in our case radio one extra.

Note if you made a few recordings from this station you might want to rename
the files so you can identify them.

13 finally it should be possible to burn or copy this recording to a memory
stick, but yours truly has not got around to this ……yet! Will keep you posted.

Paul H

GIF image