[vicsireland] Re: RTE Player

  • From: "Flor Lynch" <florlync@xxxxxx>
  • To: <vicsireland@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 12:21:54 +0100

Hi paul,

I wrote the below to the list on 22 april, in part a response to a call from mark magennis for user reports on how good, bad or indifferent the player is:

Now, personally, I haed disabled Flash in my JAWS personal verbosity
settings for the RTÉ page, so at first the player was a non-starter - no
visible Flash.  I then enabled Flash (temporarily) in the JAWS options -
insert+v and down the dialogue, etc.  I hope I wouldn't *have to* enable
Flash permanently on the RTÉ site, since it gets in the way of reading RTÉ
sports content with braille - you've just finished a line, and that line
comes back at you again; down-arrow, but that line comes back at you again; bad! If you up and down arrow using speech you experience a similar effect. Disabling Flash and a few other things solves most - but not all - of such issues on the RTÉ site. You've also got to stop in-line frames and such. Perhaps stop the page refreshing altogether, but i'd rather not go that far.

My point in all of this is to show that I had the antithesess of the
implementation of Flash in the RTÉ Catchup Player as it is presently
'constituted'. Could RTÉ not also provide a non-Flash alternative? Could
they not label more of the buttons - this is a common thing in flash,
numbered buttons. I was able to play "Corrigan City Farm" after I jumped through the hoops I have outlined above. Also, the Flash content for each
of the programs was (or is read by JAWS) below the list of programmes
available. So you have to be a bit mathematical to work out which programme you are on when you get to the Flash movies, the actual watchable shows. ...

I've gone back there since, and have watched a documentary programme or two. I think not all programs have the option of an alternative media player.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Paul Dromey" <pdromey@xxxxxx>