[vicsireland] Final Update and thanks!

  • From: "Tony Murray" <Tony.G.Murray@xxxxxx>
  • To: "VICS" <vicsireland@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2007 10:23:39 +0100

Hi VICS Members,

We're coming to the end of another VICS term, so I thought I'd send an update.

At last year's AGM (it only seems like yesterday), we received a lot of member's feedback and suggestions. I was anxious this term to focus the majority of our work on projects devised from this information. My initial reaction was... if we get through half of this stuff we'll be doing well! Now it's a year on, and yet again we've achieved far more than I expected.

As you know, a large part of our work this year was concerned with our technical training project. We decided to tackle the issue on three fronts. The first was to build a learning resource on our web site. Next, we would produce regular audio tutorials on InfoVICS. Finally, we would assemble a team, and stage day long training sessions in various locations around the country, so our members could easily access some actual classroom style tuition.

I am pleased to report, that after some great work by all involved, we have managed to hit each of our targets for this year as regards training. Every piece of feedback I've seen has been positive, and to me that is the most important thing. So, here's a big thanks to our travelling training team, Brian Dalton, Joan Ann Brosnan, Nicky (The Pacemaker) Kealy, Joan Kearns, Robbie Sandberg, Emma Tracey and Flor Lynch. Thanks too to the NCBI for giving us the use of their centres in Dublin and Cork, we couldn't have done it without them.

In addition to the regional training sessions, we had our open day in Galway before Christmas. This too was a very information packed day. VICS were honoured to have a representative from Humanware (the great Alan Davis), and some wonderful people from Dolphin UK there to present technology, carry out demonstrations and to answer questions. Coupled with the technology walk throughs shown by our own team, this day worked out really well. We got a lot of coverage in the press, thanks to Tom Langan in the West.

Anyone remember Seeing Better Ireland? Well, VICS were there spreading the good word. We had a nice couple of days on our stand, chatting to fellow exhibitors, handing out VICS information packs, encouraging people to join our society, and even doing some on-the-spot technical support. I think VICS signed up more new members in those two days than ever before!

In December of 2006, VICS participated in the E-accessible day for the Design for All Network in DCU, to promote daisy as a format of access to material. Brian Dalton manned the stand on the day, and he reported a lot of interest in VICS and the DAISY technology. This society has been promoting the DAISY format for years now, so it was good to see the word being spread further.

Speaking of promotion, we came to a very exciting agreement with the guys from RTE this year too. The Audioscope team wanted to feature more technology related material on their programmes, so who better to talk bits and bytes than VICS! It was arranged that members of the Committee would appear on the shows regularly, to discuss up and coming technology, what activities VICS were involved in, etc. I must say, it's going rather well! Thanks to Dave McHugh, Bethan Collins and the Super Sub, Joe Bollard!

You will know of our dealings with Back From the Future. The guys in this shop are really interested in delivering accessible solutions for Blind and Visually Impaired People. This fledgling relationship between VICS and Back From the Future will certainly grow, and I am confident it will benefit our members even further. VICS are always interested in new accessible gadgets and the like, and so are the shop; it can't fail!

Quite a few of our member's names were drawn out in our great Mobile Phone deal, which was carried out in conjunction with the NCBI. This was a scheme were we made Nokia 6680s running the latest version of Talks available for a special reduced price. There were twenty phones, eighteen for sale, one to be given away free by the NCBI and one to be given away by VICS. The VICS phone is still up for grabs, and the draw will take place at the AGM. It will be the first job of the new chairperson! Thanks to Stuart Lawler and Des Kenny for including us in this great deal.

I'm sure you will have noticed that our very own web site (www.vicsireland.org) has grown in the past year. Version 2.0 of the site was put up some months ago, and it continues to grow and develop very regularly. There is a great deal of useful information up there, and we should all be very proud of it. I encourage our members to keep on submitting documents they would like published on the site. Thanks to Natasha Miskella for her excellent work and dedication to this project.

In March, VICS authored a Submission regarding the Draft of the upcoming Web Content Accessibility guidelines version 2.0. This can be seen on our web site in the Information section. It was good to see our society having their voice heard on this stage, as we have been involved in campaigning for web accessibility and usability for a long time now. Thanks to Natasha Miskella and Gerry Ellis for producing this document.

Our mailing list has continued to be an excellent overall resource for VICS, and our primary source in terms of technical support for our members. As always, I would encourage you all to send in a mail if you have a question or require clarification about anything technology related. It doesn't matter how basic you think the issue is, send it in. Someone will help you. As I have said before, the field of technology is so broad... we're all beginners in many areas of this computer game! A big thanks to our moderator Paul Traynor for looking after the list, and for continuing to spread his vast knowledge through emails and articles on our web site.

At Saturday's AGM, VICS are going to make a very important announcement. We have (with the help of some special friends) set-up a very exciting and important project. It will mark a new departure for VICS, and will directly benefit each and every one of you who choose to get involved. In time, you will all join me in thanking Tim Culhane for this one, as he is the brains behind it all! I'll say no more for now.

Here's one for you guys. I want to thank all of the VICS membership for making this society the great machine it is. The Committee are there to work for you all, so never be afraid to make your voice heard. I've met lots of you this term, through our training and open days, and talked to many more of you via email. We have something very special here in VICS, and it seems to me that we are still 'on the up' as they say.

A big thanks to the outgoing Committee for everything this year. It has been a real pleasure working with you guys. We've had a very busy one, but all you have to do is review what we have achieved to see that it was all worthwhile. Well done you lot!

Finally, I want to extend a very special thanks to someone who has worked tirelessly this year on a range of our projects. If it wasn't for this person, we wouldn't have seen half the successes we have listed above. Who is it? You probably guessed - Brian Dalton! On a personal note, he has given me so much support and encouragement through the term, and no task has been too large or daunting for him. He approaches everything with cool confidence, and never fails to get the job done. You'll all recognise his name, as he has been involved in pretty much everything VICS related this year. Fair play to you my friend, and I look forward to yet another beer with you after the AGM (as if we didn't have enough last weekend).

Hope to see lots of you on Saturday.

Best wishes,

Tony Murray
VICS Chairperson
This document is strictly confidential and is intended for use by the addressee
unless otherwise indicated.

This email has been scanned by an external email security system.

Allied Irish Banks

AIB and AIB Group are registered business names of Allied Irish Banks p.l.c.
Allied Irish Banks, p.l.c. is regulated by the Financial Regulator.  Registered
Office: Bankcentre, Ballsbridge, Dublin 4. Tel: + 353 1 6600311; Registered in
Ireland: Registered No. 24173