[vi-tech-testers] project update, annoying scripts now gone!

  • From: Mobeen Iqbal <mobeeniqbal@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: vi-tech-testers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2014 17:50:28 +0100

Hello Everyone.

Its been very quiet on here lately. i hope people are still hanging in there and haven't given up completely? the last couple of weeks have been very busy, what with personal problems/commitments. however, the good news is that i've now worked out a tested way of including/excluding packages from the arch CD. that wasn't the complicated part. the complicated part was stripping out the annoying sound card selection script without breaking speech on startup. to all you seasoned linux veterans, this probably seems trivial, comment out a few lines and there you are. but i had to go searching for where the script was located, or scripts in this case, work out where they were being initiated from, comment them out, then i discovered that i'd disabled speakup from starting so had to modify the scripts again. at least i managed to find out how speakup is being loaded in arch! i'll be posting notes soon, but my priority at the moment is to get an image out there for people to test my changes if anyone's feeling brave. i've also included a welcome message because sometimes, when you boot the arch CD, speech is loaded but doesn't say anything until you type something. so i've included a welcome message that plays on startup to confirm that your sound is working and that you're at the prompt. part of the problem as well was that in certain parts, the readme file i was refering too was brief, so i'm looking forward to posting instructions online that someone would feel comfortable refering too if you were roling your own arch release. the next ultimate step will be to get a desktop installed on the cd for a desktop remix, though that could take a few months. it could also pose challenges because there are so many graphic card varients out there and i'm not sure how many drivers we would have to include so the desktop would run on the majority of hardware as opposed to a minority. the main problems appear now to have been solved, so it looks like we're very much on track to building the ultimate arch rescue remix!

i also tried removing packages from the CD without breaking functionality, but this only saved around 35MB so nothing worth shouting about. we still have between 90 and 125MB for inclusion of other packages before going to a DVD release. i'll be posting later this evening hopefully when the new image has been uploaded for testing.

thanks for reading,

Mo.