[vi-kindle] Re: On the topic of improving TTS

  • From: "Meka White, LMP" <meka@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <vi-kindle@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2012 09:00:29 -0700

as I recall, I think that Apple didn't really get on board until there was a
lawsuit that was filed.

I would be less hesitant about recommending kindle products to my friends if
the TTS were improved.  That is how it could be financially feasible for
them.  I hate having to go in to discussions with perspective kindle buyers.
'oh it's wonderful. but you can't do this because this part won't work.
You'll need help with this.  Okay, if you ever want to change wireless
networks you'll need help with that.  I hope you don't want to spell words
in a story because you won't be able to do that.  You can't really highlight
text in the book from your kindle in an accessible manner. Oh,no, there is
some clunkiness involved with this. Oh, but it's really great and if you
just want to read non-stop, it's awesome, but for the 40 percent of features
that are also wonderful, you can't. So, you'll just be paying for sixty
percent of usage.'

That is what makes me sad and it astounds me that some of us wouldn't want
better from amazon.  It also saddens me because of the words 'militant blind
people' which seem to be a term happily thrown around this list.  You can be
an advocate without being a jerk.  Once the iPhone started working better
for blind people, word got out and it spread and lots of us started
purchasing it because we saw that it works. apple consistently updates their
products and they even profiled accessibility at their Worldwide Developers
Conference.  Whether forced or not, they did take that step, and people are
purchasing and using their products.  Amazon's a big company.  I can't help
but imagine how putting more functionality in their TTS would help them
greatly.  The better it works, the less hesitant I am in recommending, the
more people purchase, the more money that they receive.

Meka