[vi-kindle] Re: File formats recognized by the Kindle

  • From: David Goldfield <disciple1211@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: vi-kindle@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2012 21:48:59 -0400

Hi, Tim.
Initially the documentation for the KK indicates that .txt files are supported as far as transferring files from the PC to the KK but not .doc, .docx, .html and rtf. However, these formats are supported when using what Amazon calls the Personal Documents Service. I've used PDS and it really does work pretty well. Essentially, PDS allows you to send a document or several documents to your Kindle via email. When you register your Kindle you're provided with an email address which ends with kindle.com as the domain. It's usually the user name of your actual email address which is registered to Amazon. So, inthis example if my registered email address on file with Amazon is johnsmith@xxxxxxx then my Kindle address is johnsmith@xxxxxxxxxxx I don't know what Amazon does if there are several johnsmith user names on several domains; anybody know? Anyway, you can send an email to this kindle.com address attaching a file or files; they can be txt, pdf, html, (I think htm) rtf and pdf and the documents get beamed to your Kindle just like a book you'd order through the Kindle store. You can attach up to 25 files: there is a limit per message ... I think it's 50 MB. You can even send a zip file with the documents. Amazon sends a confirmation email for each document you send verifying it's been received. If the files are sent via 3g there's a charge of fifteen cents a megabyte but sending them via wifi is free. To send via wifi add free.kindle.com after the at sign as in
johnsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
and the files will be sent over your wifi connection. They are also stored on Amazon's servers so you can always log onto your account and download them onto another computer if you need to do this.
David
Timothy Emmons wrote:
Ok, I feel like a complete nut, and not in a good way, Lol. I can't seem to
remember what formats kindle will recognize besides their stuff. Trying to save
an Xml file I opened in Text Edit to Text Doc or Docx, I even tried Pdf, and
RtF with no luck. So, I feel like I'm missing something. any help would be
appreciated. Thanks and talk to you guys soon. I'm going to lunch maybe I'll
find my brain in the meantime. Talk to you soon.