(VICT) just call her Vira Bit

  • From: "The Pawpower Pack" <pawpower@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <bviclickertraining@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <vi-clicker-trainers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 19:59:42 -0500

I need to pick y'all's wonderful brains.
Just to remind people of who the heck I am, Laveau is my Doberman mix guide in
training.  She is doing very well learning the ropes of guide work.  However,
we have a particular situation that I'd like help on.  She does very well on
all of her street crossings.  She targets her downcurbs correctly, crosses
perfectly straight, with a slight paws on the upcurb just as I like.

but... (there is always a but)

On two streets and only two streets she veers left.  She does not veer left
into on-coming traffic when we cross those streets as we're leaving from our
home.  She veers left when we're returning and wants to cut out the corner and
get on to the side street we're crossing.  One of these streets is the street
on which we live so I guess it makes sense in her wee doberchild mind to cut
out the corner and get up on the sidewalk closer to home.  However she also
does it on the street before the street where we live.  Those are the only two
streets where she does this.  Setting up a situation in a smaller side-street
won't work.  The streets where she does this aren't huge but traffic does drive
on them maybe one car every minute and a half to two minutes-- more during rush
hour.

This is where I need your help because I'm kind of stumped.  Throwing a party
once we get to the darned corner doesn't work, she can't wait that long and
veers and veers turning the street crossing into a tug of war.
I'm wondering if backchaining these crossings will help?

Keep in mind that I can't carry anything out in front of me like a target stick
in my right hand because I'll drop it-- that hand does not cooperate.

help?

Rox and the "Kitchen Bitches"
Bristol (retired), Mill'E SD, and Laveau SDIT
"It is better to live here in sackcloth and ashes, than to own the whole state
of Ohio."
- Lafcadio Hearn on New Orleans, 1879
pawpower@xxxxxxx
windows messenger: Brisomania@xxxxxxxxxxx