(VICT) Re: just call her Vira Bit

  • From: "Natasha Baebler" <guidingpaws@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <vi-clicker-trainers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 20:35:52 -0500

Keep in mind I use more bridge and target than pure clicker. However, Here's
how i solved this problem with Miss Fossey. As soon as I'd feel her start to
pull more left I'd slow down and fall back on her a bit without giving any
command and tell her to hop up right with a hand gesture to the right. The
instant i felt her realign, or start to realign I'd verbally praise with a
bridge. (mine being that's right that's right in a steady calm voice.) If she
started to veer really badly I'd halt without any command and firmly tell her
to "focus right." which to Foss is the "stop messing around and go straight"
tone/command. Again as soon as she got lined up right and/or i felt her move
over it was the bridge again. Finally, when we hit the curb cut she is supposed
to target, she got a click and a party.
I did this over and over both directions on the same corner probably fifteen
times in a row. Eventually she realized that if she went straight to the party
spot she'd get the party faster and would still get the bridge. After a while
of straight crossings using a bridge every time, i was able to fade out the
bridge for the most part.
Don't know if that made any sense at all. But with persistence this fixed a
MAJOR veering on a six lane street to get home "faster."
Natasha and Guide Dog Fossey

"I want to be successful like everyone does, but through my idea of success. I
don't just mean that I will make a lot of money and be known for what I do, but
that I make a difference in someone's life."
-- Megan Piontek 1985-2008
{{Miss you forever}}