(VICT) clicker timing ...was: Re: come back

  • From: "Diane & Raven" <dlshotwell2@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <vi-clicker-trainers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 16:55:28 -0400

>>They are emphasizing the importance of
timing, but I don't believe GDB instructors have found that ultra
precise timing is quite as essential for guide tasks as it may be for
shaping other behaviors.<<
My physical disability makes timing an issue often.  I work with many who have
coordination and dexterity issues that use the clicker teaching method.

Timing is very important when trying to capture a behavior such as a muscle
move or head turn or leg lift.  In these cases it may create more of concern or
may take longer for the dog to figure out what you are rewarding for...

Practice and repetition over time will sharpen a persons timing, the more
practice the better one gets.  It becomes a conditioned reflex in time.  I use
verbal marker as well as clicker.  What is amusing is I often find myself
squeezing what ever is in my hand even when using the verbal marker... after
years of using the clicker the muscles automatically react.

However, I have found that this method can be very forgiving, it has not been
an issue for me in clicker teaching assistance dog behaviors and tasks.  I use
it to teach over 60 cued behaviors as a volunteer trainer for an assistance dog
organization as well as teaching my own assistance dogs.  Things like pulling
off shoes, socks, pants, shirts, jackets... Opening doors, cabinets,
refrigerators, dishwashers... Pushing: down my foot rest on my wheelchair,
doors closed, light switches, my walker to me... Retrieving: a phone in an
emergency, my cane, my glasses, water from the refrigerator, purse, keys, and
so much more...  Find: keys, remote, phone, seat for me to sit, find door, ...
positioning with chairs, for support, to help people rise...etc...so much more
that there really is on the limit of your imagination and patience.

There is great promise in this method and it's amazing uses are yet being
researched.

I would not be teaching dogs today if it wasn't for this method.  I trained
dogs for almost 30 years before my disability,using traditional methods.  I
wish I would have found this method at the start!  I know that the dogs I
worked with over all those years would have benefited and I know I would
have...

This is indeed exciting that they are working in this field with the method.

Best Wishes & Wags,
Diane & Raven
http://AssistanceDogJournal.net
"My Assistance Dog is  not my whole life, but she makes my life whole"
~D.L.Shotwell
"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened."
~Anatole France