(VICT) Re: Zair - one week.

  • From: Infinitepaws@xxxxxxx
  • To: vi-clicker-trainers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 May 2008 19:50:32 EDT

In a message dated 5/26/2008 2:20:01 P.M. Mountain Daylight Time,
darkcount1@xxxxxxxxx writes:
How do  you work on the get dress stuff?
It sounds  facinating.

I start with a collar that I keep just for this. It is a choke type  collar
that is made from climbing rope so it holds its shape when you hold it  with
one hand.. chuckle, pretty funny that the only choke collar I own is used  only
to teach this cue.. you can do it with a regular choke but you will need to
be able to spread your fingers to hold it open.. a regular buckle collar would
work but you will need to open it large enough to easily slip over the dogs
head. You might also be able to use a wire loop to teach it if neccessary.

Basically I start with having the dog target touch the collar.. then I use
some luring to get him to take the treat with his muzzle in the loop, then we
slowly graduate to sticking his whole head in the loop. O fcourse clicking and
 treating on each one. Later I will have him do the same thing with his
harness.  I will also add in a cue to get him to pick his foot up to put it
over
the  martingale strap between his legs..  At first they often get kind of wild
on the harness and stick their heads in the wrong holes.. I just stop and
start  over again if need be.. soon they will realize that they only get a c/t
when it  is the right hole.. grin.. make sense? Some dogs eventually learn to
put
their  paws in by themselves.. Some harnesses are easier to do this than
others.. a  stiffer harness is easier than a floppy harness..

Sandy Foushee
Infinite Paws-Abilities Training and Service  Dogs
Teamed with Alexandra Guide/Service Dog
Colorado Service/Assistance  Dog Club - Trainer.-
_http://journals.aol.com/infinitepaws/zairs-journey/_
(http://journals.aol.com/infinitepaws/zairs-journey/)

Tyler Florence" on AOL Food.