(VICT) Re: My Decision on Met

  • From: "DIANNE B. PHELPS AND PRIMROSE" <d.bphelps@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <vi-clicker-trainers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2007 14:01:51 -0700

Karen,

That is a sad decision, but I think you know that back stress is a common
work injury for our guides. It is  so difficult to make definite decisions
when our dogs still show interest in what they are used to doing, but you
may find that for Met's protection, you may have to make the decisions for
him and teach him to appreciate his retirement time.

My Jalisa developed arthritis in her spine at age 10, and I worried terribly
that she wouldn't want to be at home and that she would miss going with us,
but when I had a new guide and Jalisa was back to live with us again, she
almost acted relieved when I would put her in my office on a tie-down and
tell her she needed to stay and look out for my house. She would lie down as
if to tell me she was glad that Storey had all the hard work and she could
be lazy and have more fun. she had been such a serious dog during all of her
work life and so totally devoted that it was good to see her enjoy being
lazy and then, having fun playing with Storey.

I wish you all the best with this as it is so difficult to know exactly what
to do.

Love and hugs,

Dianne and Primrose