(VICT) Re: How do I get started with clicker training?

  • From: "Ann Edie" <annedie@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <vi-clicker-trainers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 10:56:48 -0400

Hi, Jackie,

Not exactly.  You want to set things up so that she will understand what she
needs to do to earn the click and treat, and so that she will be successful.
We don't assume that the dog "knows" that mugging your hand is an
undesirable behavior.  We just want to show her that it doesn't work, that
it is not within the rules of the clicker game.  Then we want to show her
ways in which she can achieve her goal of causing you to click and give her
one of those yummy treats.

So, once you have done the first exercise of simply clicking and treating,
(Sandy's Lesson 1, Part A), and she knows that the sound of the clicker
means yummy things are coming, you want to move on to the next exercise,
(Lesson 1, Part B), where she will learn that mugging does not get her any
treats, and then on to the next exercise, (Lesson 1, Part C), where she will
learn that there are behaviors that she can do that will "make the vending
machine deliver a treat".

At this early stage in Cola's clicker training, we want to keep the game
very positive and friendly.  (Actually, this is true throughout our
training, at all levels and stages.)  If she makes a mistake and mugs for
the treats, because that behavior has worked in the past, or just because
that is a natural behavior for a dog to do and it is what she thought of at
the moment, we do not want to punish her by removing the thing that she
likes.  Instead, we want to ignore the unwanted behavior and wait until she
stops pawing momentarily or looks away for an instant, and then immediately
click and treat that desirable behavior.  Soon she will get the point that
keeping her paws down and looking away from the treats actually is the key
to unlock the vending machine.  A light bulb will switch on in her little
Labbie head, and you will have a truly clicker aware dog who just can't wait
for you to teach her more ways that she can cause you to click and give her
a treat!

Keep up the good work!

Ann