(VICT) Re: Control Unleashed in accessible format

  • From: "Diane & Raven" <dlshotwell2@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <vi-clicker-trainers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 10:36:22 -0500

I wrote this to Leslie the author of Control unleashed: Sent: Tuesday, November
11, 2008 2:47:21 AM
Subject: need for CU copy at blind person resource library

Hi Leslie,

I hope this finds you well...

When your book was first released I wrote to you and asked if you would donate
a copy of your book to bookshare.org
it is an organization that scans books for the blind so they can access the
same information as the sighted people..

There does not seem to be a copy there.

Would you consider donating a copy for the organization?
Many thanks,

Best Wishes & Wags,
Diane & Raven<<

This was her response: hi diane, yes i will donate one. it'll take me a few
days to get to the post office. thanks for reminding me
hope everything's good
leslie<<

Than she wrote me  a second post on this subject saying this: hi diane,
i looked through the animal books and except for one about how kids should
greet dogs properly, written for kids, i didn't see anything about training;
just lots of stories to enjoy about animals, mostly wild animals
are you sure that CU, with all the stuff about reading  body language, working
under threshold for difficult dogs, is the type of book that would be useful
for them?<<

My response: Yes, Leslie.  One of the difficulties is getting books of this
nature for them to access.  There are many very talented visually impaired
trainers.  Some do assistance dog training of their own dogs and some do
participate in agility and other dog sports.  There is a great lack of books on
training, and I hear of those searching in my own Golden Paws Assistance Dog
Club and other discussion groups.  The most recent discussion about the need
for your book in an accessible format for the visually impaired was on a list
named vi-clicker-trainers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx .  They had gone to your site and tried
to contact you through your email link there but found a note that made them
think the questions they had about the book and donation might not be
appropriate for the email link.

If you have any questions about this request or donating the book, please let
me know and I will contact the group to get the information you will need.

Thank you again Leslie for all your efforts,<<

I will let you know if I hear anything more on the subject.

If anyone would like to write to me about the request so that I can pass it on
to her, please do.
If you could explain you needs it may help in the planning of future
publications ... she has two DVD's coming out at Christmas and I am sure
another book some time in the future... I hope.

Best Wishes & Wags,
Diane & Raven
APDT#72225
http://AssistanceDogJournal.net
"My Assistance Dog is not my whole life, but she makes my life
whole"~D.L.Shotwell