(VICT) Re: Another BC in My Future

  • From: "Jo Clayson" <joclayson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <vi-clicker-trainers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 07:19:47 -0500

I've never seen any guidelines or research as to when it is OK to start
"light" guide work.  I do have some opinions though. LOL.

Dogs need exercise, mental as well as physical.  In terms of physical
exercise, I don't see that guide work would be much different from only
taking a walk.  When dogs play they do a lot of twisting and fast movements.
Think how fast a dog or wild canine needs to maneuver to catch a rabbit....
pups that don't learn this skill early will likely die of starvation.   I
think this type activity  is necessary for their neurological and physical
development.  I would avoid activities where I was asking the dog or pup to
do hard impact activities, such as  jumping heights, though I would
certainly allow the dog to choose to jump things, and provide low objects
for that purpose.  Gentle resistance is good strength training, such as the
forward pull into the harness that most guide dogs do.  Pulling a wheelchair
would be to much too soon for until a dog has reached full structural
growth. I also wouldn't put weight on a dog- there are some guidelines I've
read for the amount of weight in a backpack in relation to the dog's optimum
weight (overweight dogs may not carry extra in a backpack!)   When working
with Kita to brace to help me up from the ground, I taught her to stand, put
at least one hand on her, but didn't put any pressure on and would use some
other way to get up.  Many times I can get up on my own and it's only
occasionally I need help anyway.  I gradually increased my pressure on her
as she grew, but never fully leaned my weight against her until x-rays had
showed the growth plates had closed on the bones.

Though I've never worked with a guide for me, I've been around my friend's
guides .  My sense is that a growing pup could handle the physical aspects
of guiding at a far younger age than they could the mental and emotional
aspects.  A pup , or even an adolescent, is going to be more distracted,
more inquisitive about their surroundings, more inclined to greet other
people and animals, more intent on where they are going than allowing enough
room for you beside them. etc.

As I said, this is my opinion.

jo