(VICT) Perplexing behavior

  • From: "Shelley L. Rhodes" <guidinggolden@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <vi-clicker-trainers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "dpservicedogs" <DePorresServiceDogs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2008 20:24:35 -0400

Hi everyone,

I have a very perplexing behavior and not quite sure how to handle it, but
as it is getting worse, we need to address it before it escalates any
further.

First of all Guinevere is clicker trained as you all know.

She is also used to corrections but I use a balanced approach if I can.

Guinevere and I have a very strong bond it seems.  And this is posing a
problem.

Ever since I received her over a year ago, she has had some separation
issues.  I heard from the vet that she pulled out her tail hair in the
kennels because she was left alone in quarantine for a week.  Her puppy
raising has been kind of interesting, owing to the fact that frankly I think
perhaps she didn't get all the experiences that most dogs do, or else she um
didn't learn from them, smile.

But I digress.

Since I received her, she has a very annoying behavior, that happens mainly
when she is left alone, normally on tie down, but she will do it if she is
free.  She does it when I leave her.  I could say something to her or not,
doesn't make a difference.  I could go down the hall, or be gone for several
hours.  It doesn't matter.  When she is left alone, she will scratch, under
her chin, or around her neck with her back foot.  At first I thought it was
allergies but now am convinced it is psychological in nature.  She will even
do it if for example I tie her dog in my cubicle and go to use the restroom,
she will start scratching.

Now.... I know she is getting rewarded for this, because she will scratch
and scratch and scratch, until she is "touched" by someone.

I used to talk to her to stop it, but I am afraid that I may have
inadvertently rewarded the behavior.

It is getting to be a huge problem both at my parent's home, and at my
office, as her scratching distracts my coworkers, who are dog lovers and are
unfortunately giving her attention for her to stop the behavior.

What can I do?

how can I get this behavior to stop.

The typical separation anxiety solutions, the gradual build up of time away
and the like aren't working.  She also can't be left with a stuffed kong
every time I want to use the restroom and if I take her with me I am
reinforcing the problem.

Is there such a thing as a too strong bond to your service dog?

Help!

Shelley L. Rhodes, M.A., VRT
And Guinevere: Golden Lady Guide Dog
guidinggolden@xxxxxxxxx
Guide Dogs for the Blind
Alumni Association
www.guidedogs.com

Though force can protect in emergency, only justice, fairness, consideration
and cooperation can finally lead men to the dawn of eternal peace. -Dwight
D. Eisenhower, U.S. general and 34th president (1890-1969)