(VICT) Cali

  • From: care4k9@xxxxxxx
  • To: vi-clicker-trainers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2008 02:34:31 +0000

    Dolores,

        Wow, how exciting to have you on the list! Cali sounds as tall as my
Belgian Malinois! I'm 5'2" and I have to slightly bend left to touch his
withers.

         I'm waiting for an adjusteent on my harness from Julie. I can't wait
to get Mickey's training going. In one week I will be flying from California to
South Carolina for 7 1/2 week training for my work. I will be doing a lot of
walking at night, so this will be fun! I have some sight and do fairly well in
day time, but have night blindness. I'm also totally blind on my right side and
hard of hearing. So Mickey won't be a full guide dog, but will help me with ome
guide work. His vest says hearing dog.

         11 years ago I did have another dog that I trained a short time for
guide work when I went legly blind (restored by surgery). He had a leather
harness. With just hte very short experience with Julie's harness, wow, you
really feel the dog's movement more. Kind of like more information. Mickey is
not even trained to do guide work, but I could feel that in the harness. Pretty
neat!Can't wait to get the training going. Mickey's hearing work has been going
really well.

        Also, now that Mickey has been with me for twoo weeks at work, he's
settling in and doing so much better. Har to believe that 6 months I didn't
have him with me at work. What a difference this has made!

--
Christy Hill
A'Mickey