[va_lcg_act] VA LCG

  • From: "Robert and Judith James" <randjjames1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <va_lcg_act@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2014 09:56:26 +1100

Vision Australia has developed a 3G based Daisy player. This innovative player
connects to our i-access online Library without the need of a computer or
internet connection. By simply turning on the player, you can access your
virtual bookshelf with of all the normal reading materials you get from the
library. You can return the book to the library with the press of a button.
Overnight the system will replace the empty slot on your virtual bookshelf with
another book.

The 3G player can be easily identified by a small black antenna attached to the
rear of the player. Just remember, it doesn’t play CDs but all the normal
reading materials will always be available.

The benefits of this new service are:

·       Ability to read newspapers from our collection of 366 newspapers on the
day of publication

·       Listen to magazines and podcasts on the day they become available

·       Returning books was never this easy – just press the eject button and
the book is returned to the library and taken off your record immediately

·       Your virtual bookshelf updates overnight so tomorrow there will be new
books to replace any that you have returned

·       Improves our environmental footprint by reducing the number of CDs used

How the project is being implemented

To achieve the environmental impact of reducing CDs, the library selects those
members who are heavy CD users (borrowed greater than 110 CD last year) who
will be eligible for the service. Library staff will phone individuals over
coming weeks and months to take members through the process.

About 3,000 machines are being refitted so library staff are also calling those
members who have a PTX to discuss replacing that model with a PTN DAISY player
so that each PTX in turn can be refurbished with the new 3G technology.