[va_co_birding] Re: One more topic

  • From: Susan Heath <sheath@xxxxxxx>
  • To: va_co_birding@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 20:00:00 -0400

Well, I guess I'll chime in here since both Todd and Mike have spilled
the beans about a county listing website.  Yes, I had planned on putting
something together but now I'm wondering if I'll have the time.
Regardless of that, I am happy to post comp lists for any and all
counties/cities as long as I don't have to be the compiler.  If you want
to put something together and e-mail it to me, I'll put it up right away.

So, back to the subject of a county listing website.  I would like to
get some feedback on this idea so if I do have time, I'll know how to do
it.  I had orginally planned on getting people to submit their lists for
counties with a few simple rules.  County lists have to be over 100,
cities over 50, except a couple cities that are as large a county (e.g.
VA Beach which has to be 100).  Just stuff like that to keep me from
having to post lists too often.  I would then post the lists for the
appropriate county so others could see what birds have been seen in that
county, who has the most, etc.  However, on further thought it occurs to
me that it would probably be a good idea to post not only the species
but the date and location associated with the sighting.  The reason for
this is that some folks have been county listing for a long time and may
have seen a Brown-headed Nuthatch somewhere 20 years ago where they
aren't anymore.  If you looking at a list it would be good to know how
old the sighting is.  Similarly, if you want to find a specific bird in
a county, then it would be good to pull up someone else's list and see
where and when they saw it.  So that all sounds great and everything but
putting the lists up on the internet just got a lot more complicated.  I
suppose if I required a certain format (e.g. a table in MS Word or
something) then I could easily convert it to a webpage and put it up.
Anyway, I'd like to know what other people think about this idea.
Eventually, we could expand it to include places to bird in each county
and other useful stuff.  Anyway, let me know what you think.

Sue

--
Susan A. Heath
George Mason University

Secretary, Virginia Avian Records Committee
Keeper, Virginia Comp List at www.obscure-reference.com/~sheath

va_co_birding is hosted by FreeLists. To change your settings or unsubscribe,
visit www.freelists.org  To post to the list (subscribers only), send email to
va_co_birding@xxxxxxxxxxxxx