[va_co_birding] Re: Lines and rules

  • From: "Mike Stinson" <svstinm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: va_co_birding@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 15:56:12 -0400

Finally getting back to this...

>  Yes, in all likelihood these birds were BCNH,
>almost WITHOUT a doubt- but this is where listing becomes a truly
>subjective and personal pastime. It pretty much leaves it up to the
>individual to make that crucial decision regarding the addition of a
>species to whatever list (or lists) in question.

I think Ian's right in this regard, and it doesn't conflict with what I was
saying earlier. You have to i.d. the birds for yourself, but ultimately you
have to be the judge of when you've seen the bird well enough to truly say
that you KNOW that's what it was. Probably all of us have had situations
where a good birder says "there's a so-and-so" and we see...something...but
not well enough to count it. Usually we just say "oh well," but when it's a
life/ state/ county/ bigday tick, it's funny how that decision gets harder
to make.

Mike

va_co_birding is hosted by FreeLists. To change your settings or unsubscribe,
visit www.freelists.org  To post to the list (subscribers only), send email to
va_co_birding@xxxxxxxxxxxxx