[va_co_birding] Re: Lines and rules

  • From: ICTerid <ict_earth@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: va_co_birding@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 11:11:42 -0700 (PDT)

--- Susan Heath <sheath@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Mike and all,
>
> Here's a sticky situation relevant to Mike's comments above.  Last
> weekend I birded with Ian Topolsky, Jon Little, and BJ Westervelt at
> the
> Blue Ridge Center in western Loudoun County.  As we were walking
> towards
> the woods, 5 herons flew over.  Ian said something to the effect of
> "Oh
> look five Great Blue Herons" and I gave them a cursory glance with my
>
> bins and didn't think twice about it.  Jon looked them over well
> though
> and said "Those are night-herons".  I just got another glimpse before
>
> they disappeared over the mountains.  Once Jon said it, I knew he was
>
> right.  They were Black-crowned Night-herons.  The bodies were white,
>
> the wings were single tone gray (not two toned like you see on GBHE),
>
> the legs didn't stick out nearly enough for GBHE, and they were too
> small to be GBHE.  Their flight style was different from GBHE.
> Everything clicked for BCNH and I knew it just as soon as Jon said
> it.
> But I fumbled the id and then wasn't able to confirm it myself
> because
> the birds were gone.  Ian and I even looked in a field guide once we
> got
> back to the cars to confirm it.  So, can we put them on our Loudoun
> County lists or not?
>
> Sue

   The issue was a sticky one then, and despite any added insight,
remains so in my eyes. Yes, in all likelihood these birds were BCNH,
almost WITHOUT a doubt- but this is where listing becomes a truly
subjective and personal pastime. It pretty much leaves it up to the
individual to make that crucial decision regarding the addition of a
species to whatever list (or lists) in question.
   Personally, I will not add BCNH to my Loudoun Co list. I looked up
expecting the norm and passed it off as just that without a second
glance. When a more appropriate ID was thrown out, the birds were too
far away for me to appropriately reconsider the ID in the present
tense, despite what little I retained from the moment of attention I
gave them. Plus, if I am still debating the issue DAYS later, it ain't
gettin' added. Period.
   The old adage "hindsight is 20/20", at least for me, doesn't really
ring true. It's just a lesson to be learned and one I will probably
have to learn many more times over before it truly sticks; look at
every bird as if it's the first time you've laid eyes on it. Maybe next
time I'll earn those BCNH in Loudoun...

  Ian C. Topolsky
  Hamilton, VA