[va-richmond-general]

  • From: "Gerald Uhlman" <flyways@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2005 14:59:28 -0500

Seven hardy and eager birders hit the trail at Cumberland Marsh this morning
for some extreme birding.  Besides the usual white-throated sparrows and
cardinals, we had excellent looks at a yellow-bellied sapsuckers, a juvenile
and an adult bald eagles, a sharp-shinned hawk, a golden-crowned kinglet and
a pair of hooded mergansers.  Duck hunters across the marsh kept the ducks
skittish, but the marsh brought us teal and an unexpected heard greater
yellow-legs.  Mike Iwanik also found two specialties: a December gray
catbird and winter common grackles, flying overhead several times, that are
unusual in Charlottesville (well done!).  The mid-twenty degree temperature
during the early morning hours was invigorating, sharpening our eyes for
spotting elusive winter birds.

Jerry Uhlman

Nature & Conservation Writer

flyways@xxxxxxxxx