[va-richmond-general] Re: millet

  • From: "Nelda Snyder" <snyderfolks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 10:24:48 -0400

Katie,

All of those birds like the suet cake--crumbled and tossed on the porch or
ground.  Actually they like John's homemade peanut butter cake recipe!  Our
juncos have left for the season, but the wrens, whitethroats, cardinals,
jays, and all the woodpeckers love the little chunks.  You may have to shoo
off grackles, if you have them, as they wait like vultures for it.  It's
funny how when I yell at the grackles to "GET" the little birds come flying
in while the grackles fly off!

Nelda

does get tiresome weeding the stuff out of flower pots. Now, I am not
seeing the smaller birds who I enjoy so much: juncos; white throated
sparrows; song sparrows; and the one sweet little Carolina Wren who hung
out here.  Is it the time of year?  Could anyone please recommend a good
mix that will encourage these birds to visit?

> Katie
> South of the James

> Sent via the WebMail system at earthtones.com
>

> You are subscribed to VA-Richmond-General. To unsubscribe, send email to
> va-richmond-general-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'unsubscribe' in the
Subject field. To adjust other settings (vacation, digest, etc.) please
visit, //www.freelists.org/list/va-richmond-general.