[va-richmond-general] Virginia IBAs on eBird

  • From: David Bryan <dbryan.audubon@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 19 Dec 2009 11:32:47 -0500

For those of you who did not get the announcement by other means, we thought
this was important enough for everyone to hear through the listserv:

*The Virginia Important Bird Areas are on eBird! *

* *

The staff of the Virginia Important Bird Areas (IBA) Program is pleased to
announce that Virginia’s IBAs are now on Virginia eBird! In a very important
step for Virginia’s Program, 19 of Virginia’s 20 IBAs have been integrated
into Virginia eBird, with the newly-delineated Central Piedmont IBA to be
incorporated soon.

Our vision is that the integration of Virginia’s IBAs into eBird will allow
us to better understand the status of priority species within the
Commonwealth’s most critical habitats for breeding, wintering and migrating
birds, and we need your help!

In particular, we hope that eBirders will bird more extensively within our
20 IBAs, carefully recording their sightings through the Virginia eBird
Portal at http://ebird.org/content/va.

Of particular interest to the Program are data regarding the following
species: Cerulean Warbler, Golden-winged Warbler, Rusty Blackbird, Northern
Bobwhite, Red-headed Woodpecker, Henslow’s Sparrow, Northern Harrier,
Peregrine Falcon, Upland Sandpiper, Purple Sandpiper, Black-billed Cuckoo,
Short-eared Owl, Chuck-wills-widow, Whip-poor-will, Loggerhead Shrike,
Brown-headed Nuthatch, Wood Thrush, Blue-winged Warbler, Prairie Warbler,
Bay-breasted Warbler, Prothonotary Warbler, Worm-eating Warbler, Swainson’s
Warbler, Louisiana Waterthrush, Kentucky Warbler, Canada Warbler,
Grasshopper Sparrow, and Dickcissel.

Information on all IBAs is important, but the following are places that we
would like to focus on initially:

▪         Central Piedmont IBA

▪         Culpeper Basin IBA

▪         Lower Delmarva IBA

▪         Mount Rogers-Whitetop Mountain IBA

▪         Pine Mountain IBA

▪         Powell & Stone Mountains IBA

▪         Western Shore Marshes IBA

In particular, Virginia’s beautiful southwestern IBAs have been historically
under-birded, so please consider a trip out west to explore these awesome
areas of the Commonwealth!

Thank you in advance for your efforts within Virginia’s IBAs. Coupled with
eBird’s data exploration capabilities, your citizen science efforts will
help us prioritize our conservation projects and tune our efforts throughout
the IBAs. For more information on the Program or on eBird, please contact
Mary Elfner, Virginia IBA Coordinator, at melfner@xxxxxxxxxxx or David
Bryan, Outreach Coordinator, at dbryan.audubon@xxxxxxxxxx Thanks!

**Special thanks to eBird Project Managers Brian Sullivan and Marshall Iliff
for their critical guidance and help in this effort.**