[va-richmond-general] Unusual bird

  • From: "Jim Blowers" <jimvb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 10:48:49 -0400

I found an unusual bird in a tree this morning. It had a distinctly reddish
breast, fading to white near the head. It was crested, and had a brownish
head with a black ring around the head, with a brownish to black upper part,
with some white stripes, and a white-tipped tail. I was wondering if it was
a cedar waxwing at first. It was going "dibidibidibi.". Then I decided it
was a blue jay. Lighting conditions in the morning can really alter the
appearance of a bird, and I remember that the dibi sound was an alternate
way the blue jay expresses itself, other than the usual crow-like
"biirrrp!".

Jim Blowers