[va-richmond-general] The Wetlands--common nighthawks, barred owlet

  • From: "JANICE FRYE" <jjfdc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'va-bird'" <va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 4 May 2008 21:00:06 -0400

My 7-year-old son went with me to see the barred owlet reported by Ben and
Betsy Saunders near the pipeline at Pleasant Creek.  We found it in fairly
advanced plumage and it has literally moved up pretty far in the world
directly above the creek.  The devoted parent was not far away.  Oddly, I
heard a gull above the creek, but did not try to tell what it was in the low
light.  We checked the kingfisher burrows and then went back out to the
meadow.  While we studied a nursery spider with a huge egg sac and marveled
at the dragonfly still hunting in very little light I realized that 2 common
nighthawks were hunting above the meadow.  There was enough light up there
to make their white wing markings show, and their flight pattern is always
interesting.  Not the first time I have seen them there, but I always look
forward to that first sighting every year.

Jan

Richmond