[va-richmond-general] RAS Picnic June 12

  • From: "Al Warfield" <warfield101@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Audubon Listserve" <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 May 2004 11:17:13 -0400

The annual RAS picnic will be held on Saturday, June 12, with a rain date of
Sunday, June 13. The picnic site is at the property of Buz and Nelda Snyder in
Varina. Although you can come any time, early birders usually come around 7:30
or 8. Most others come between 9 and 10. We eat lunch around noon. We normally
leave mid-afternoon depending on the storm situation.

The birding is great, and you can also fish in the lake, swim, go canoing, eat,
and enjoy the company of fellow birders.

Bring a covered dish, and/or something to grill. Picnic tables, a grill,
charcoal, plastic utensils, paper plates, and soft drinks will be available,
but bring any other beverages you want, and please bring your own chairs. There
is a lake with a dock for swimming or fishing, and a small building for
changing clothes. Bring swimming gear, towels, insect repellant, sun block,
fishing tackle, etc.

From Richmond: Go east on Main Street, which becomes Route 5. At the
Y-intersection of Rt 5 and Osborne Turnpike, bear right onto Osborne. After 8
miles, Osborne becomes Kingsland Rd. at a 90° left bend. Proceed on Kingsland
for 0.9 mi to Arrahatteck Trail, a gravel road on the right. Take this road
past the house to the end of the road.

From I-295: Take the Varina exit, Rt. 5 west toward Richmond. Proceed West on
Rt. 5 to 1st traffic light, Strath Road. Turn left on Strath to the dead end at
Kingsland Rd. and turn right. Go past intersections at Varina Road and
Hoke-Bradley Rd. About one block (0.1 mi) on the left, turn onto Arrahatteck
Trail, and proceed as above.

From Chippenham Parkway or I-95 south of Richmond: Take the Pocahontas Parkway
(895) to Varina ($150 toll) and get off at the first exit after the bridge. At
Rt 5 turn right and then another right at Strath Rd. Go to the dead end at
Kingsland Rd. and turn right. Go past intersections at Varina Road and
Hoke-Bradley Rd. About one block (0.1 mi) on the left, turn onto Arrahatteck
Trail, and drive to the end of the road.

Call or email if you need help with directions.

Linda Warfield (743-1479) (warfield101@xxxxxxxxxxx)

Grace Suttle (320-9225)