[va-richmond-general] Re: Once in a lifetime

  • From: WEalding@xxxxxxx
  • To: va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 31 May 2004 16:31:35 EDT

I noticed that the mudflats appeared at Pocahontas last summer, and posted
the question to the listserv.  Someone from the park responded as you did,
that it was from disturbance in outlying areas, and also that we had a huge
amount of rain last summer.  It probably appeared "all of a sudden" after
accumulating gradually until it finally broke the surface.
To answer your catbird question, none of my field guides mention young  birds
as lacking the chestnut undertail coverts, although both Stokes and  Peterson
indicate that it can be inconspicuous.
Wendy Ealding