[va-richmond-general] Re: Owl

  • From: "JANICE FRYE" <jjfdc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jimvb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 13:17:10 -0500

Hi Jim,

We all have to sleep somewhere.  I occasionally find barred owls perched
down pretty low in brushy, thick places at The Wetlands in JRPS.  At Bryan
Park I have seen great horned owls head for similar cover when pestered by
small birds.  It must be a little like having a fly buzzing around us during
a daytime nap.  When not bothered by smallish birds (having seen a Cooper's
Hawk kick some feathered tail made me add the -ish) or construction I'm sure
both prefer to sleep in high cover.  Daytime hooting is not terribly unusual
and may help you learn their routines, numbers and hangouts.  A pair was
hooting at Huntley Meadows in NoVa this last Sunday.  Hopefully the
developers haven't destroyed a preferred nesting location in your
neighborhood.  If it was on the ground hunting maybe something has happened
with the food supply that has put pressure on it.  In my experience, the
birds at the Wetlands will only hunt in broad daylight during ice and snow,
or they perch at the edge of the rising water when the James is in flood
(maybe an irresistible opportunity?)  At times like that they might only be
twenty or so feet above the trail and they ignore me.  Another time they are
prone to be close to me and not care is when there is enormous feeding
pressure with rapidly growing offspring.  You have a very special neighbor.
Be observant and you might get to watch them (if there's a pair) raise their
young.  Enjoy!

Jan

  _____