[va-richmond-general] Re: Owl

  • From: IE Ries <feathermom_chirpling@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 12:52:52 -0800 (PST)

Hi Jim,

  It's really a treat to see the owls during the day.  During 2003, I saw a
pair of Barred Owls hunting and sharing a meal (an unfortunate snake) during
the day.  It appeared the male had caught the meal and was offering it to the
female.  I was watching them for a while before they realized I was spying on
them and turn around on the branch of the tree on which they both perched to
eat in privacy (I walked down the trail and let them alone).  Enjoy the
sightings, they are special!

  IE Ries

Jim Blowers <jimvb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
        st1\:*{behavior:url(#default#ieooui) }                Shortly before
noon today, I went running in my neighborhood south of Chester. I ran into the
woods behind the swimming pool to check up on some developers that were digging
and causing noise in a nearby plot of land, when all of a sudden, I heard a
whoosh noise. I looked to the left and saw a huge bird. I thought it was a
hawk. But when I took a look at its front, I saw a huge ellipse instead of a
point, with large dark eyes in it. I think that it was an owl. I looked in the
bird book and concluded that it was a barred owl. It was really huge,
definitely larger than a red-shouldered hawk. It did not have tufts, and its
eyes were dark, ruling out a great horned owl or a great gray owl. I didn?t
hear any ?who cooks for you?.  Unfortunately, I did not have my camera.

  I am wondering how often owls come out in the daytime. I thought they were
strictly night birds. Perhaps I scared it from where it was with my running, or
perhaps the developers have it on the run.

  Jim Blowers

"Hope is the thing with feathers
  That perches in the soul
  And sings the tune without the words