[va-richmond-general] James River Park, 42nd St. 5/19/2007

  • From: "Lewis Barnett" <lbarnett@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 19 May 2007 15:17:37 -0400 (EDT)

It was a beautiful morning at the main area of James River Park - sunny
and cool, with maybe just a bit too much breeze for great birding, but
after the past couple of days, no complaints from me. Migration is
starting to tail off a bit, so not quite so many species noted as last
week, but still 12 warblers, including scads of Blackpolls, and a healthy
dose of Magnolias, Parulas, Canadas and Black-throated Blues. I found an
Overbird and a Northern Waterthrush over on the 42nd Street island, and
saw up to 4 Spotted Sandpipers out on the rocks from that vantage.
Tanagers and Orioles were scarce. I found one first year male Orchard
Oriole near the Reedy Creek entrance, and one male Scarlet Tanager on my
way across the bridge on the way out of the park. The Gnatcatcher nest is
still active -- the chicks are big enough to be seen from the ground when
mom/dad show up with the next meal. The next is in a small tree along the
fence line about 25 or 30 feet "upstream" of the Reedy Creek and maybe 20
feet off the ground. Shouldn't be too hard to find, as the chicks make a
pretty good ruckus whenever food's in the offing. Over the meadow, I got a
nice show from a pair of Red-tailed Hawks cruising around with their
landing gear down, something I hadn't seen before. Complete list is below.

--
Lewis Barnett
Math & Comp Sci, University of Richmond, VA 23173

Location:     James River Park - Main Section
Observation date:     5/19/07
Number of species:     58

Canada Goose     10
Mallard     6