[va-richmond-general] James R. Pk - 42nd St, Richmond, VA

  • From: "Barnett, Lewis" <lbarnett@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 5 May 2012 21:06:55 +0000

Richmond Audubon had a good turnout for the annual spring migration walk at the
main section of James River Park. The total of 18 birders included guests from
Rhode Island and California.

It was a warm and muggy day, and the birding was a little slow for this time of
year. We had a total of 51 species (possibly a couple more that others saw but
that I missed) including good looks at a male Rose-breasted Grosbeak in the
parking lot, and eight warbler species, most notably Black-Throated Blue,
Northern Parula, American Redstart, and Black-and-white Warbler. Things became
occasionally frenetic as sizable flocks of Cedar Waxwings descended to confuse
the issue. Perhaps the highlight of the morning were a pair of White-eyed
Vireos that treated us to great looks right beside the trail, and two obliging
Veery that were spotted from the parking lot.

Complete list given below. If any participants would like for me to share the
eBird list with you, just email me your eBird handle.

Lewis Barnett
lbarnett@xxxxxxxxxxxx

James River Park - Main Section, Richmond City, US-VA
May 5, 2012 7:15 AM - 11:45 AM
Protocol: Traveling
1.9 mile(s)
Comments:     RAS field trip led by Lewis Barnett and Arun Bose.
51 species

Canada Goose  1
Mallard  2
Double-crested Cormorant  1