[va-richmond-general] Re: Henricus Saturday

  • From: Bob Reilly <rjreilly@xxxxxxx>
  • To: va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2002 15:13:48 -0400

 As Al indicates, banding was good at Dutch gap on Saturday.  Visitors got
tosee some nice birds up close.  We banded 56 birds of 15 species and
recaptured one indigo bunting that we banded there last Fall.  The list of
birds banded Saturday is:

indigo bunting 26
common yellowthroat  9
northern waterthrush 3
field sparrow 3
yellow warbler 2
cardinal 2
tufted titmouse 2
house wren 2
black and white warbler 1
catbird 1
baltimore oriole 1
painted bunting 1
mockingbird 1
carolina wren 1
Trail's flycatcher (Willow or Alder) 1

Those running the banding operation were Mary Arginteanu, Larry Robinson,
John Dillard, Pam Dummit, and me.  Thanks as well to Ann Brooks and other
Audubon members who assisted us early in the session.  I believe that all
involved had a rewarding morning.  The good number of children who visited
seemed especially delighted.

Separately,  the prothonotary warbler nesting project that got underway at
Dutch Gap this Spring with the installation of 45 boxes in the lagoon, on
theriver, and in the marsh, is quite a success.  About 2/3 of the boxes were
used by prothonotaries in this first season (and 3 by tree swallows). I
banded about 100 prothonotaries there in May, June, and July.  One bird that
had been banded as a hatchling by Prof. Charles Blem at Deep Bottom in 1998,
was captured in May defending a territory at Dutch Gap.  It is anticipated
that the usage rate of boxes will climb higher next Spring, and I hope to
expand the number of boxes out there.  I am grateful to the nice folks that
made the boxes (especially Brian Jacobs, who made over 30 and helped me
install them!) and to Catherine Harold for coorinating their production.

Bob Reilly

Al Warfield wrote: At Henricus Saturday, we had 14 birders show up for the
kickoff of the fall season. Because there was a scheduled series of bird
banding demonstrations, we headed for the back portion of the lagoon where
the demos were set up. Of course, we birded our way there and back.
Altogether we saw 31 species including some of those that were banded. The
demonstrations continued after our group left the site, so there would be
more species recorded afterwards.

The highlight of the day was the banding of a young Painted Bunting, thought
to be the first recorded in Central Virginia. Some closeup pictures were
taken, but we will have to wait for the results. I guess a digital camera
would have come in handy for that. The most numerous at the banding station
were Indigo Buntings, and a few Gray Catbirds and one House Wren were also
banded, as well as a Baltimore Oriole. We also got quick looks at a barred
owl, a Sharp-shinned Hawk, and a Red-shouldered Hawk.

Lots of Eastern Bluebirds and American Goldfinches were seen along the fence
at the top of the flyash pond dam. There were no Black Vultures seen and
onlyone TV was spotted. Thanks to Chesterfield County P&R for the banding
demo, to Bob Riley, Mary Argenteanu, Larry Robinson, and several others who
conducted the banding, and to everyone who participated in the walk. If
anyone has additional information, please post it here.

Al Warfield

//www.freelists.org/list/va-richmond-general[1].

--- Links ---
   1 //www.freelists.org/list/va-richmond-general