[va-richmond-general] Re: Henricus Monday a.m.

  • From: Bob Reilly <rjreilly@xxxxxxx>
  • To: va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 16:11:06 -0400

Tagging on to Al's observations this morning:

Redstarts were present in good numbers all along the Dutch Gap loop as were
yellow-throated warblers.  Found a prairie warbler and a Baltimore oriole
singing in the field by the banding station, plus a parula warbler just past
the 3.5 mile mark  Blue grosbeaks were singing from the fence a short distance
beyond the visitors' center.  The vanguard of the prothonotaries is clearly in
though I have not not see any females at Henricus/Dutch Gap as yet.  Males were
present at a number of locations, and I observed three going in and out of nest
boxes, including the one labeled B1 that is
at the left edge of the marsh as you face it from the boardwalk at Henricus.  A
family was successfully raised in that box last year. Yellow warblers were
singing at several spots, most reliably as you bear left at the corner of the
marsh on the entrance road.   Back home in Powhatan,  I  had my first wood
thrush of the season, singing as I left the house this morning.

Bob Reilly