[va-richmond-general] Henricus Monday a.m.

  • From: Al Warfield <warfield101@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Audubon Listserve <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 07:10:08 -0400

In the morning at Henricus I saw several pairs of Yellow-throated Warblers
chasing each other about. One was on the side of the trail gathering white
fluffy plant material. High in a tree at a bend in the trail before the banding
area was a singing thrasher. He was there on the way back too. There were lots
of Common Yellowthroats, especially around the perimeter of the banding area.
There was at least one White-eyed Vireo there too. Blue-gray Gnatcatchers were
all over. Two Field Sparrows at the banding area in the tall grass. There were
White-throated Sparrow all over Henricus.
Back at the house (on Falling Creek in Meadowbrook, southside Richmond) we had
a Pileated Woodpecker in the back yard, and there is a pair of Hairy
Woodpeckers in the oak tree across the street. They came over and sampled the
suet Sunday, both at the same time. The drumming of the male is very intense,
and he keeps at it intermittently all day. So far we have only male hummers,
and only one or two.

Al Warfield