[va-richmond-general] Re: Help with Unknown Sound

  • From: "Scarborough, George K DLA CIV INFORMATION OPERATIONS" <George.Scarborough@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "lindamcbride@xxxxxxxx" <lindamcbride@xxxxxxxx>, "va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 May 2015 14:58:02 +0000

It is probably a cat.

V/R
George Scarborough
804-279-4185

From: va-richmond-general-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:va-richmond-general-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
lindamcbride@xxxxxxxx
Sent: Thursday, May 14, 2015 10:48 AM
To: va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [va-richmond-general] Help with Unknown Sound

I am hoping that the Richmond Audubon community can help with a conundrum. My
sister sent me an email about a chilling noise she has been hearing at night
(she lives just outside Fredericksburg in a nicely forested area). I assumed
it was a screech owl. She says it isn't. Any ideas what may be making this
sound? Our email exchange is reproduced below. Thanks!

Linda McBride

Do you have any idea what could be making an unearthly noise at night that is
nearly impossible to describe? It's very loud, and it sounds as if something is
moaning/screaming/being killed. Last night I heard it around 10 p.m., and
before that I've been hearing it in the middle of the night. It is really
chilling, and I don't know if it's some kind of animal, or maybe a bird, like
an owl perhaps, except that it doesn't sound like any owl sound I've ever heard.

I'm thinking it is an Eastern Screech Owl. What you describe is often how their
song is described. I've attached a link to the Cornell Lab of Ornithology's
Macaulay Library. Play the clip, and see what you think. You also can Google
Eastern Screech Owl song for more recordings. Let me know!

I listened to the clip just now, and whatever it is, it is not a screech owl.
It is not even close. It's really impossible to tell if it is a bird or an
animal. Whatever it is, a neighbor also heard it last year. I remember she told
me about a terrible noise she had heard during the night. She thought some
predator had attacked a hawk's nest that was in one of her trees. I went over
the next day, and didn't find any evidence of a massacre. It makes such a
blood-curdling sound that you think something is being killed or mutilated. I
think for now I'll just call it a Sasquatch!

High School Yearbooks
View Class Yearbooks Online Free. Reminisce & Buy a Reprint Today!
<http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3142/5554b5e22a54e35e270a2st04duc>Classmates.com<http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3142/5554b5e22a54e35e270a2st04duc>