[va-richmond-general] Grey-cheeked Thrush

  • From: Naseem Reza <nreza@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Richmond Birders <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 May 2010 16:22:32 -0400

Dear Birders:

The appearance of migrating warblers at my drip-equipped bird bath has
tapered off significantly but today a very special thrush showed up for a
quick bath on its way to its breeding grounds in Alaska. Curiously, Alaska
is the only state in the United States, that the Grey-cheeked Thrush breeds
in. Most of us get to see (if we are lucky)  this species when it is
migrating to and from its wintering grounds in South America. Of course an
intriguing possibility (extremely slight) is that this particular bird is
actually a Bicknell's Thrush and it is heading for its breeding grounds in
New England and Eastern Canada rather than Alaska.

If the Thrush experts out there have some insight on this bird, I would
appreciate some feedback. Thanks,

Naseem Reza