[va-richmond-general] Great Blue Heron rookery at Gregory's Pond, Chesterfield County

  • From: "Wendy Ealding" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "wealding@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 May 2014 12:40:36 -0400 (EDT)

 I birded Rockwood Park this morning and met up with birders Mike and Brenda.
Mike noticed a Great Blue Heron flying in to a large pine tree across Gregory's
Pond and then observed the sounds typical of a rookery.  We were able to see 6
adult birds and at least 2 nests through binoculars.  The rookery is visible
from the trail that runs along the western edge of the pond, it is on the
southern bank of the pond.  Note that the pond is private property.

Other highlights included a Gray-cheeked Thrush and a Prothonotary Warbler
carrying a nice juicy caterpillar to feed his brood.

Full list at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S18520078

Wendy Ealding
North Chesterfield