[va-richmond-general] Birder study at University of Richmond

  • From: Lewis Barnett <blbarnett3@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 May 2014 13:57:38 -0400

Folks,

Here's some info about an ongoing study in the Psychology Dept. at University
of Richmond that needs birders of all ability levels as participants. I did
this a couple of weeks ago - it's an interesting experience, and they will pay
you to participate.

Birder Study: Phase 1 and Phase 2
The Higher Level Vision Lab at the University of Richmond is interested in the
special skills that birders develop and what these can tell us about how the
brain works. The study is run by Dr. Cindy Bukach, and Associate Professor of
Cognitive Neuroscience in the Psychology department at the University of
Richmond, who specializes in visual expertise. The study takes place at the
University of Richmond campus, and free parking will be provided.  Phase 1 of
the study has already begun, and we appreciate all those birders who have
volunteered their time.  We are still collecting data for this first phase, and
are also beginning data collection for the second phase.  Phase 1 takes
approximately 2 hours total, and sessions can be scheduled at select times
during the week and weekends, including early evenings.  As compensation,
particpants will be given $30 cash for their time. Phase 2 takes under an hour,
and sessions can once again be scheduled at your convenience. Participants will
receive $15 for Phase 2.  Although we encourage individuals to participate in
both phases, there is no obligation to do so.  All different levels of birding
are encouraged to participate.  Also, if you have a non-birder friend or
significant other, please invite them or bring them along.  Results of the
study will be made available to participants upon request.  Please contact our
lab at urcogneuro@xxxxxxxxx or telephone (804) 289-8563 if you are interested
in participating, and either Dr. Bukach or her research assistants will be
happy to discuss the studies and arrange an appointment.

--
Lewis Barnett
President, Richmond Audubon Society