[va-richmond-general] Fwd: purple martin roost

  • From: Ruth Robin <robin.ruth@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 04 Aug 2007 13:05:35 -0400

This is information on a Purple Martin roost that is located at 17th and Grace Streets in Richmond. Is anyone aware of this roost? Jimmy Fitzgerald would love to have someone look at it and possibly help monitor it. Since his message is kind of long, I've tried to highlight the most important parts of it.

Robin

Begin forwarded message:

From: fitzgerald3herb@xxxxxxx
Date: August 4, 2007 12:50:24 PM EDT
To: robin.ruth@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Fwd: purple martin roost

In a message dated 8/4/2007 12:35:32 PM Eastern Daylight Time, fitzgerald3herb writes: I have been trying to report this roost to the Richmonnd Audubon Society for over a year. The information may be getting through but nobody has ever let me know nor have I ever seen anyone at the site. This roost consists of tens of thousands of birds and is absolutely an unbelievable site to witness. You can see it on Doppler Radar so you can imagine how many birds this roost consists of. This site is located in a very precarious and dangerous place for the birds. Me and a friend just recently met Sergio Harding a non game biologist for VDGIF and he said this site needs to be monitored and will have to be done by volunteers. It will probably be the end of next week before I can find out just what were supposed to be looking for at the site. I would think primarily any attempts to harm the birds would be on top of the list. At any rate we hope we can count on the Audubon Society for help in this matter. The site is located on 17th Street between Franklin and Grace Streets on the West side in a row of Bradford Pear Trees. This site can also be located by going to the web site http:// purplemartin.org/roost/roostdetail.php?roost=351 and if that doesn't work go to http://purplemartin.org and click on roost and follow instructions. The site is located in an area known as Shockoe Bottom and is loaded with restaurants and bars. The sidewalk under the trees is covered with manure and the same goes for any vehicles parked under them when the birds come in the evening. I am a member of the Richmond Audubon Society and the Purple Martin Conservation Association and although I haven't participated in any of your activities I do read the thrasher and other information you might send out. I had hoped an article would have been printed in the thrasher but that obviously didn't happen. I am in the process of getting a mailing list of all PMCA members in Virginia. Some that live near Richmond should be willing to participate. By the time we finally get organized this year the birds will be about ready to leave for South America. The roost is active from the middle of July to early September. Sergio Harding gave me information on the virginiabirds web site and how to use listservers which I tried to put a post on without success and would appreciate it if you would list this roost in listservers wherever you see fit. My home telephone number is 804 966 5866 and I look forward to hearing from you soon and hopefully meeting you and other Audubon members at the site. The best place to view the birds is at the corner of Grace and 17th Streets. Birds will start to organize above the site about 1 hour before sundown. There is usually room to park around that intersection but it does sometimes get crowded and if so park on the cobblestone street just west of 17th street. Sincerely, Jimmy Fitzgerald PS: My real name is Herbert Fitzgerald and I live in Charles City Co. but I use my mothers address at 3 E. Sedgwick St. Sandston,Va. 23150 to pay bills and receive my mail so seeing an address at 15220 Cypress Bank Rd. Providence Forge, Va. 23140 may have confused everybody. Sorry but either one will work.

From: fitzgerald3herb@xxxxxxx
Date: August 4, 2007 12:35:32 PM EDT
To: robinruth@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: purple martin roost