[va-richmond-general] Dutch Gap, 4/18/09, Chesterfield Co.

  • From: "Rachel Echols" <rlechols@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2009 16:53:06 -0400

We took the bikes and the kids and rode the trail at Dutch Gap today.  We
birded mostly by ear and stopped in a few places.  The only species I have
to add to Seth's report from the same morning is a BLUE-HEADED VIREO.  It
was in the trees across from the visitor center parking lot, near the bluff
which overlooks the marsh.  This is a new life bird for me!  The
prothonotary and yellow-throated warblers were singing heartily on this
beautiful morning.  What fun!

Also, we have a new bluebird hatchling that just hatched this morning, here
in our yard in Chester.  I'll be waiting during the next 24 hours for the
other 4 eggs to hatch.

Rachel Echols

Chester, VA