[va-richmond-general] Dutch Gap 23 July 2010

  • From: juliekazz@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: Richmond Birds <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2010 02:06:10 +0000 (UTC)

Took what was our last Prothonotary survey of the season in the canoe this afternoon with Bob Harris. We were pleased to band a final healthy box of 3 Prothonotary nestlings with very attentive parents. With the temperatures hovering at the 101 degree mark it was amazing to see so much bird activity along the river. We have reliably seen 3 Juvenile Bald Eagles doing some short flights in the same general location each time we go out.  They were there again today flying with adult Bald Eagles and Osprey.  Here's a list of the birds seen and heard today...it was a scorcher but many birds didn't seem to mind.

Bald Eagle (5+)

Osprey

Turkey Vulture

Black Vulture