[va-richmond-general] Summer yard

  • From: "Kathy" <k-kreutzer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2010 07:19:25 -0400

It has been a fun, if noisy,  birding summer here in our western
Chesterfield yard.  We have a blue jay family of 7 total which you can hear
nearly every waking hour somewhere in the woods or see at the feeders.  They
get along pretty well with the other birds and sometimes we have a blue jay,
red-headed woodpecker, and cardinal at the same sunflower seed feeder, near
the thistle feeder filled with goldfinches, and boy, is that beautiful!    I
also finally identified the hawk family in the woods near us that I kept
hearing  -  finally got some photos and matched with the call  -
red-shouldered hawks.  They are new in our woods this year.   You can hear
them a good part of the day, too, and one day they got in some sort of
altercation with the blue jays and it was very loud!    The hummingbirds are
out in force and I can often see 7 or 8 at a time at our front feeders.
They are really going through the sugar water in this heat.  Hope everyone
is having a great summer!

Kathy Kreutzer

Chesterfield